Drum Teachers In Memoriam

In Memoriam


I'm sad to share news that two of my beloved frame drum teachers (both performers) have passed over this week, Oct. 2013. 

Layne Redmond (August 19, 1952 – October 28, 2013) was an American drummer, frame drum virtuoso, writer, teacher, historian, feminist, and mythologist. 

Layne Redmond, author of influential book "When the Women Were Drummers", was inspirational to women drummers around the world. Since a couple dozen years ago, I've learned from Layne, and wherever I play in spiritual spaces, always use the three Remo signature timbrels that Layne designed. Waiting for it's creation, I bought Layne's smallest timbrel heavy jingle frame drum as it was 'hot off the press'. Two decades ago with Layne as my inspiration, I played my largest frame drum in ritualized dance that I choreographed for my movement duo, during a Shabbat service at the Onion, a round sacred space.

I have discovered reading Layne's "Back Story" that she (like me) was a Max Beckmann scholarship art student at the Brooklyn Museum.  Layne studied painting in 1977. (I was a full time Max Beckmann ceramics graduate student in 1970-1971). Our lives intersected when in the late 1980's in CA, I first studied frame drum with Layne, and continued to learn from her at Remo. Layne was a blesSing.
~ ~ ~

John Bergamo (May 28, 1940 - Oct. 19, 2013) was a percussionist and Percussion Hall of Fame member. 
John Bergamo, a great talented treasure and innovative percussion teacher to countless musicians for decades, especially at CalArts, has been a percussion inspiration to me during the last 15 years (especially at Remo). It is John's large over-sized gentle Remo 'moon' signature frame drum that I play at temples. I loved watching John play in his various groups with experimental percussion, i.e. with little bowls filled with water.

PAST YEARS

Paulo Mattioli, died on October 22, 2011. Paulo, my djembe teacher, personally made my djembe drum while he lived in Topanga. Paulo called my drum the cadillac of djembe especially because of the comfortable beveled edge. For years I drove weekly to LA where Paulo gave drum lessons and with African dance. I knew Paulo before I knew Remo, and then blessed, enjoyed Paulo at Remo. I loved Paulo's high and fast joyous energy, and especially his drum circles at Remo. We shared the same birthday and I would bring fruit for our mutual birthdays celebrated at Remo.


Babatunde Olatunji, died April 6, 2003.  Babatunde, the greatest African djembe player and teacher.

May their souls be blessed.

In deep appreciation, 
Joy Krauthammer
~ ~ ~

Not a personal teacher, but a musician important to me:
NEA American Jazz Master, Yusef Lateef, Who Embraced World Music, Dies at 93, 12.23.13  The first album ever given to me (by my aunt Perle) when I was a teen, was by Yusef Lateef. First album I ever bought at age 16 was by his friend, drummer Babatunde Olatunji, obm, with whom I gratefully got to perform. (Dreams really do manifest.)

"Yusef Lateef combined thoughtfulness and a probing intellectual curiosity with impressive musical skills. Early in his career, he established his role as a pathfinder in blending elements from a multiplicity of different sources." - LA TIMES obit


~ ~ ~

Saddest for me and the world was when Reb Shlomo Carlebach, z'l, died. From him I learned "harmony." Shlomo channeled his niggunim from Shamayim. He was a BlesSing in my life.
http://rebshlomocarlebach-ztl.blogspot.com
~ ~ ~

So tragic when brilliant singer/composer Debbie Friedman, z'l, died too young at 59.
Debbie was a blesSing in my life and I was very blessed that over the years at times I accompanied Debbie. Her legacy is kept alive everywhere.
~ ~ ~

The saddest news is that Remo Belli, obm, visionary and founder of REMO drums, died, April 25, 2016. May his legacy be continued by musicians all over the world.  
Remo has been most important in my life.

http://joys-music.blogspot.com/2012/02/remo-belli-obm.html


~ ~ ~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
I always love to hear from you.
BlesSings,
Joy